Three Simple Steps to Executing an Easy, Stress-Free Move
The decision to move, to leave people and places behind, is huge. And huge are its implications. This is why relocation or moving tops the list as one of the most stressful events in life. No kidding! It stands at number three, right behind death and divorce. Who would have thought?
All the packing and unpacking, those goodbyes, the stress — it’s a nightmare! And there’s no escaping the dreaded event either. Statistics from the US Census Bureau reveal that the average person moves 11.7 times in their lifetime. Chances are, you will too. A couple of times at least.
Evidently then, the bad news is that moving cannot be avoided altogether. The good news, however, is that moving does not always have to be a nightmare.
The art and science of making moving stress-free
Easy, stress-free moving is a function of three basic parameters – 1) planning, 2) packing and moving, and 3) you. Yes you read that right, you!
All you need to do is take care of these parameters — we at Globe Moving call them the Big Three — and you’re set.
- Start with the planning
Benjamin Franklin was right you know. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Which is why, planning for an upcoming relocation is the first of the ‘Big Three’.
- Work out a plan – Plan in detail, all tasks leading up to the final moving day. You want to include everything from putting your current house up for sale to unpacking boxes in your new home. One good idea is to work backwards from the moving day, to ensure you’ve missed nothing. Also, be sure to write down individual tasks involved in the process, from start to finish.
- Prioritize activities – Assign priorities to the tasks listed in your plan, depending upon their relative importance and the time you have to accomplish them. For instance, make listing your house with a real estate agent a top priority so that you have time to negotiate a good deal. . Similarly, assign priorities to all tasks in your plan, depending on what needs to get done first.
- Get organized – Now that you know what tasks need to get done when, list and secure all the tools and resources you would need. Don’t forget boxes, scissors, packing tape, newspapers, markers, bubble wrap, and the like. Also consider if you would need carts, dollies, or other cases to pack and move special items.
- Designate tasks and enlist help – if you are planning to pack and move on your own enlist the help of family and friends to help with the moving. Designate responsibilities such as sourcing materials, packing, researching your new location, or even babysitting. Better yet, hire professional packers and movers and make the most of their comprehensive relocation services.
- Declutter – As the last step of the planning process, decide what items you want to move, leave behind, and give away. Get rid of things you don’t intend to move. Consider having a garage sale or, if you have the time, a sale on olx or quikr or eBay or Craigslist to get some extra cash.
Be sure to start planning early. This will help keep stress at bay by ensuring there’s no last-minute rush to get things done.
- Manage the packing and moving
The actual packing and moving can be the most laborious of the ‘Big Three’ tasks, or the easiest, depending on your approach. Your options are just two – take the good ol’ do-it-yourself route, or upgrade to relocation services by hiring professional packers and movers. Let’s weigh the pros and cons of each.
When you choose to do it yourself, your “packers and movers” are essentially family and friends who have agreed to help. These are trusted people on whom you can rely to get the job done well. The fact that you do not have to pay for their ‘relocation services’ only makes things better. Right?
Wrong. Your DIY packers and movers are untrained albeit, well-meaning folks. And good intentions seldom guarantee great results, if ever at all. From damage of items due to amateur packing to loss of goods due to inefficient moving — there are several things that can go wrong when enlisting the help of untrained packers and movers. Whatever you save in wages of professional packers and movers, you will eventually spend in repair or replacement of inefficiently packed and moved goods. In addition, with DIY packing and moving, the job of overseeing all tasks falls on your shoulders, adding to the stress.
On the other hand, when you choose to enlist the professional relocation services of reputed packers and movers, the pros far outweigh the cons. For one, you don’t have to worry about the quality of packing and execution. You have hired professional packers and movers who know and understand all tricks of the trade. Your goods are insured and their services are guaranteed. What’s not to like?
For another, you don’t have to constantly oversee their work. You are free to make memories with family and friends, which is priceless, especially when you’re about to relocate to a different country. Of course, you will have to pay for the relocation services of international packers and movers. But that, you’ll see, is a small price to pay for ease, peace of mind, and free time.
The benefits of hiring reputed packers and movers are in fact, numerous. And here are three tips to help you ensure you make the best of the relocation services they provide:
- Compare options before zeroing in on one company — You want to choose the best relocation services company, with experienced, competent, and trustworthy packers and movers. Use the Internet for research and pick three international packers and movers to compare.
- Know how to vet packers and movers — The key to making the right choice of international packers and movers is making the right comparison. Here’s everything you need to know about the process.
- Make special arrangements for pets — And finally, ensure the relocation services company you choose provides pet moving services as well.
Once you ’ve chosen a relocation services company, book well in advance to ensure availability.
- Take care of yourself
On to the third, and arguably, the most important task among the ‘Big Three’ – taking care of you. Bidding adieu is always tough. You will go through an array of emotions ranging from apprehension and anxiety to anger, sadness, or outright depression. And it is vital you prepare yourself, the kids, and the family, to function through these emotions.
- Acknowledge and accept your emotions – Even if your reasons for relocation are positive, you are bound to get anxious or sad. Understand that this is normal and in fact, healthy. Talk about these feelings with someone you trust.
- Help the kids with their emotions – If there has ever been a group of people who detest change the most, it has been the little humans in our homes. Relocation can be a very uncertain time for children and they will need your help to get over their anxiety. Talk to them about your reasons for the move and reassure them of normality. Include them in relocation discussions and hand them small tasks to keep them involved.
- Take time to say your goodbyes – Make time to visit the people and places that you love, before the big move. Take a leave of absence from work for the last couple of days if you feel overwhelmed towards the end.
- Maintain old routines as much as possible — Keep up with your diet and exercise routines as much as possible. Eat healthy. Drink plenty of water. Exercise daily. And sleep well.
- Allow yourself time — And finally, allow yourself time to settle in the new surroundings. Understand that you will miss the old place for a couple of weeks, or months even, and remember that you’ll fall in love with your new home soon.
Move stress-free with Globe Moving
Globe Moving is an ISO and FIDI FAIM accredited relocation services company that leads the industry with a team of compassionate international packers and movers. We operate from a philosophy of trust, respect, and integrity, which helps not just meet but also exceed customer expectations across all service channels.
Our personalized international relocation services provide just the stress-free moving experience you and your family need. Anticipating a move? Get in touch today!